The demand for professional writers is not going down. As a result, several organizations are hiring creative professionals adept at writing and delivering information in a myriad of approaches. Freelance writer as a profession lets you balance your lifestyle and offers more flexibility in work
If you want to be a freelance writer, all you need is a passion for writing, good writing skills, a computer, and an internet connection.
Once you have these, you are good to go. However, the road to a prolific freelance writing career is not as easy as it sounds. As a freelance writer myself, I would like to share some insights to help YOU start your career in freelance writing.
- 1 How To Become A Freelance Writer
- 2 Different Types Of Freelance Writers
- 3 Freelance Writer Pros & Cons
- 4 Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
- 5 The advice I Would Give Myself!
How To Become A Freelance Writer
Here are some must-follow steps to get your career in freelance writing started.
1. Choose a Niche
As a beginner, I will suggest you write in different niches. It will help you choose the niche you see fit for your internship. But you cannot go about this plan in the long run.
The more multi-niche work you do, the more projects you get— while that may be true, doing niche-based writing brings you better-paying freelance writer jobs. So, it is necessary to choose a niche and build your expertise on it.
2. Build Your Websites
Better freelance writing gigs always look for authority before coming your way. You should showcase your work online to gain trust and set examples if you are starting. You can do it by setting up your website.
Setting up your website is not that hard. Many easy website-building platforms allow you to set up your blogging site. Once you are done setting up, you can keep posting regular niche-relevant and SEO-friendly content.
3. Start Guest Blogging
Guest blogging is an effective way of building up your network, niche, and industry relationship. You can build up a bigger community through guest blogging on other websites. Guest blogging makes it easier for you to get new clients. You can boost your author bio through guest blogging and get new clients as a freelance writer.
4. Get On Social Media
Social media is a great place if you are looking for freelance writing gigs. Many new and seasoned pro writers land their gigs from social media pages and groups. Here are some social media platforms and freelance writing platforms where you can land your freelance writing jobs.
Social media is a great place for building your followers. Once you gain more exposure, getting gigs won’t be hard.
5. Freelance Writers’ Marketplace
There is a widespread marketplace for freelance writers on the internet and several social media platforms. You need to be a consistent part of this community to land regular freelance writing jobs.
- LinkedIn – is the best platform most freelance writers use to get jobs.
- Upwork – Upwork is another platform where you get different types of freelance work, including writing gigs. These are bidding platforms where you bid for jobs posted by employers.(Remember, bidding the lowest may not help you get the job. The algorithm follows the quality of your work and balances it with cost-effectiveness)
- Blue Tie – another social network is Blue Tie; you can get your freelance jobs from here as well.
6. Market Your Writing Samples
The best way to get more jobs as a freelance writer is by starting marketing yourself. Many freelance writers do it through their own blogs. You can also market your work by writing online magazines and sharing your published work on social media and with friends and family.
7. Pitching For A Freelance Writing Job
You can ask companies and reputed websites to offer you freelance writing works through expert pitching. Here is how you need to pitch for landing freelance jobs.
- Be concise and effective in describing your work and expertise in brief detail.
- Contact different blogs and websites to offer your writing services.
- As mentioned earlier, you must join different social networks for freelance writers.
- Pitching to print magazines and editors is another great way to land freelance jobs.
- Always keep your social media pages and job profiles updated with new achievements and information.
Different Types Of Freelance Writers
Freelance writers can work in different types of writing jobs. Here are some examples–
1. Article writers: as a freelance article writer, you will write for different magazines, journals, and papers.
2. Web content writers: if you are good with SEO, then web content writing can help you earn considerably well.
3. Medical writers: Pharmaceutical companies need writers who are adept with technical writing and are knowledgeable in medicine.
4. Copywriting: Copywriting is writing with an intent to sell. When you have a good knowledge of marketing and sales, you can write copies, ads, and product descriptions for businesses.
5. Blog writers: freelance writers can also write blogs. Millions of blogging sites need articles for their blogs, and as a freelance blog writer, you can work on jobs such as these.
Skills required to be a freelance writer?
Freelance Writer Pros & Cons
As a freelance writer, you get the flexibility of work and a sizable income source. But there are some drawbacks as well. Here are some pros and cons to help you –
- You can work from home.
- Flexible work schedule.
- You can work on different types of writing jobs.
- Finding consistent clients is not easy.
- Some forms of writing don’t pay much.
- It is solitary work.
- The competition is massive.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Here are some more questions I thought you might need answering–
Ans: As a freelance writer, a writer has to write on any topic and do any type of writing work that the client requires. Such writers are contractors who work for several clients and get paid for different types of writing jobs.
Ans: The first step is to build niche expertise when it comes to landing good writing jobs. With niche expertise, you can sort out the clients and get the writing jobs that get the writing jobs that pay the most.
Ans: As a freelance writer, you may get paid on the basis of the work that you do or based on the hours you spend on your work. Most of the payment for freelance works is made based on the words written. You can charge your client a price per word that you write.
The advice I Would Give Myself!
The first advice I would give myself is not to lose hope and give up. Building your freelance network is not easy. Also, getting consistent clients is also tough, judging from the growing competition. Building niche expertise takes time, so you must be patient with your knowledge parameter as well.
I hope that this article helps you get the best freelance writing jobs you are looking for. Please comment if you have further queries.